Philadelphia students, will you answer the call?
PhillyGoes2College and the Wawa Welcome America Festival are teaming up again this year to bring you the “I Am Philadelphia” young voices contest. The contest, open to Philadelphia high school students, launches February 15th with submissions due April 15th. This year, students can submit original work in three categories, spoken word performance, musical performance, and visual art for the chance to win exclusive prizes and to have their voice heard!
Entries in each submission category should respond to the following prompt:
Share with us your inspiration for wanting to pursue a college education in the City of Philadelphia. What will you bring to a college campus that only you can offer? How do you plan to use your education to make Philadelphia’s future brighter?
How to Enter:
All submissions are due by April 15th.
If you are submitting to multiple contests, complete one form for each entry.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find details about each submission category below:
Spoken Word Performance:Your original spoken word performance should be a recorded video of no more than three minutes.
– Prizes: Chance to perform your poem at the Our America Now official festival event and a mentorship with Quentin The Poet
– Judges: Philadelphia Poet Laureate Trapeta Mayson; Philadelphia Youth Poet Laureate Andre’a Rhoads; Jeannine Cook, owner of Harriett’s Bookshop; and Quentin Williams, founder of DragonTree Media and We The People Stage
Musical Performance: Your original musical performance should be a recorded video of no more than three minutes. Entries can be of any musical genre and can be instrumental only or contain both vocals and instrumentation. All lyrics and/or music must be original and unpublished.
– Prizes: Two preferred seating area tickets to the July 4th Wawa Welcome America Festival Concert; the chance to perform/have your video shown at select festival events; mentor session with Chill Moody and Ben Thomas
– Judges: Chill Moody, founder of nicethings MUSIC; Benjamin Thomas, award winning music engineer and producer, and founder of After5 Studios; and Alex Young, founder of Consequence
Visual Art: Entries of any style or medium of visual art (ex: painting, ceramics, photography, drawing) can be submitted. Entries must be original in both concept and execution. Please submit a clear and well-lit digital photograph of your work along with a 3-4 sentence artist statement.
– Prizes: Work will be displayed at select Wawa Welcome America Festival events; mentor session with Jane Golden and an additional Mural Arts team member
– Judges: Jane Golden, artist and Executive Director of Mural Arts Philadelphia; Conrad Brenner, Founder of StreetsDept.